If you’ve never seen a fluffy, wholewheat, sticky, gooey cinnamon roll, I have a question for you:
Who are you???
Crawl out of that cocoon you’re living in right now.
You’re looking at it.
Who knew it would be whole wheat?
Magical Cinnamon Rolls
No. of servings: 9 big rolls or 16 small ones
For dough (very loosely adapted from here)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (vegan: 1/2 tsp + enough soy milk to make 1/2 cup and let rest for 5 minutes)
- 1/4 cup non-fat yogurt (vegan: use soygurt or coconut yogurt or 1/4 cup melted earth balance or 3 tbsp oil)
- 25g egg (well beaten) (vegan: 1 tbsp oil or 2 tbsp Ener-G Egg Replacer)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp/ 25g white sugar
- 2 tbsp/ 25g black or brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup/ 162g unbleached white bread flour
- 1 cup/ 128g whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp instant yeast (1/2 envelope)
- 3 tbsp reduced fat spread, softened (I used oil based spread, which is vegan)
- 2 tbsp palm sugar (type that has been chopped into very small chunks) You can also use demera sugar but the taste is slightly different
- 15 mini marshmallows (use vegan marshmallows)
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- Mix all wet ingredients in a bowl.
- Add all dry ingredients into the mixer bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add wet ingredients.
- Mix at speed 2 for 10-15 minutes until smooth dough that passes windowpane test is formed.
- Shape the dough into a smooth round and place in a mixing bowl, cover with cling wrap and let it rise till double in volume for about 60mins.
- Remove dough and give a few light kneading on a lightly floured work surface. Press out the trapped air as your knead.
- Roll and stretch the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 15” by 24” (38 cm by 61 cm) rectangle.
- Mark off 1” along the 24” edge of the dough, closest to you.(You will not spread any filling on this edge.)
- In a food processor, add in marshmallows and icing sugar.
- Process till marshmallows are sort of minced. (The icing sugar prevents bits of marshmallow from sticking) Alternatively, use manpower!! Like I did.
- Mix well the marshmallow mixture with palm sugar and cinnamon powder.
How to assemble
- Spread the softened reduced fat spread over the dough with a rubber spatula and then evenly distribute the filling. Be careful to leave your 1” edge clean.
- As a final step, use your rolling pin to lightly roll the filling mixture.
- Starting at the far edge of the dough, roll it up tightly.
- Begin at the far 24” edge and roll up the dough toward the 1” clean edge.
- The clean 1” edge is used to seal the finished roll.
- Trim the left and right ends of the roll. The result will be a 24” roll.
- Trim off the left and right ends of the roll so that you have a fulsh end at each end of the roll.
- Then mark the roll every 1 1/2 inches (3.8 cm).
- Cut the roll into 1 1/2” long portions.This may be done with a knife.
- Line your baking pans with parchment paper.
- Place 5 rolls into 8” square baking pans 1” apart. (One roll in each corner, and one in the center.)
- Cover with a lint free cloth and let rise in a warm, draft free place until almost double, approximately 1 hour.
- After rising, rolls should be touching each other and the sides of the pan.
- This is important for best results. This gives the resulting rolls the soft, moist outer edge that most people prefer.
- Preheat oven to 375F/180C. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- (Optional but recommended step) Brush the tops with butter! once removed from oven.
This post is going to YEASTSPOTTING!!!